Monday 25 November 2013

And I grin and I hide

My hand trembles, the palpitation of the previous night’s intellectual overdose is still gripping my heart. Dumbfounded at my physical response to pain and affection, I try to move myself out of bed. I move but instead I curl up near her feet.

Her warmth is comforting and soothing to my soul and I close my eyes again to fall into another round of sleep. My bad sleeping habits and continuous eating have made me lose my once lithe physical structure and fat has taken precedence in my depressed existence. In the process of this contemplation over my increased rotundity, I hear her shift in the bed again and I look up to see her face on the other side of the bed. Her tranquil face is etched into a faint smile around the corners of her lips making me uneasy and thus I try to lightly push my head on her feet.

She shifts and partially wakes up and says to me in a drowsy voice, “Baby, please sleep, I will give you breakfast soon”. Soon she is back to sleep and I gently keep lying beside her, careful not to wake her up again. I can see that the day is breaking through the sides of the window blinds as the pale yellow light shines through its sides giving it an angelic halo. Some light spills on her face and her curly hair light up almost magically leaving me awe struck and perplexed at the reason why I am here next to her.

I remember meeting her in a lane, where she was finding a path and the moment I laid eyes on her I was awe struck, but strangely I did not feel anything. Maybe she was searching for a path in her life or just walking by, I can never be sure. But I still am grateful that she took a soulless creature like me under her care.

My memory of the past is interrupted by the alarm clock ringing, telling her it is time to wake up and begin a new search. She wakes up and stretches her lovely arms and her mouth parts in a graceful yawn. She looks down the bed to me and says:

“Aww, good morning Cheshire Baby, come let mama give you some food.”

I purr affectionately and reply, “Meow”, which is my way of saying thank you Alice, maybe someday I might just love you.

She replies, “ Cheshire Baby, are you grinning at the idea of breakfast? You always have been very naughty, now don’t disappear again”.

I just continue to grin in response and then get amazed at the coldness of my soul…..

No comments:

Post a Comment